Greetings, Democrats! There is much work to be done in order to organize and mobilize ahead of the crucially important midterm elections this year. Please lean in — we are stronger together and can accomplish a great deal. To get our Congresswoman back on the ballot, we need your help circulating a petition sheet. If you have a completed petition, please bring it with you to the upcoming Convention.
– Saturday, March 24th — 14th Congressional District Democratic Convention. Held at Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers Road, Detroit 48235. Registration will begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue until 10:00 a.m., which is when the convention will convene. The purpose of this Convention shall be to elect for the following:
One Female Member and One Male Member Delegate, and One Female Member and One Male Member Alternate Delegate to the Credentialing Committee of the Michigan Democratic Party
One Female Member and One Male Member Delegate, and One Female Member and One Male Member Alternate Delegate to the Resolutions Committee of the Michigan Democratic Party
One Female Member and One Male Member Delegate, and One Female Member and One Male Member Alternate Delegate to the Rules Committee of the Michigan Democratic Party (MDP)
We will also consider resolutions to be forwarded to the State Party.
Article IV Section B & C of the MDP Rules stipulate the following qualifications for candidacy and eligibility to vote:
In order to hold Party office or vote at any Convention, Caucus, or meeting at any unit of the Michigan Democratic Party at any level, a person must be a member of the Michigan Democratic Party for at least thirty (30) days prior to that Convention, Caucus or meeting. A Party member must be a qualified elector in order to vote on nominations for public office.
Precinct Delegates, Democratic elected officials, and Democratic nominees to partisan offices are exempt from the thirty (30) days advance membership requirement. However, Precinct Delegates, Democratic elected officials, and Democratic nominees to partisan office must be a member in order to vote and may join the same day as the Convention, Caucus, or meeting.
A. Call to Order
B. Election of Permanent Convention Chair
C. Appointment of Convention Secretary
D. Credential Report
E. Rules Report
F. Election of Convention Committee Members & Alternate
G. Consideration of Resolutions
H. Good & Welfare
– Saturday, April 14th — 14th District Democrats April Meeting. Held at the Oak Park Community Center, 14300 Oak Park Boulevard, Oak Park 48237. 9:00 a.m. Executive Board meeting, 10:00 a.m. General Membership meeting.
– Saturday, April 14th — Michigan Democratic Party Women’s Caucus Luncheon. Held at Cobo Center, Detroit. For more information, call Caryl Conway at (313) 408-9810.
– Saturday, April 14th — Michigan Democratic Party Annual Legacy Dinner, with Keynote Speaker U.S. Senator Kamala Harris (Cobo Center, Detroit). For tickets and info, visit www.michigandems.com/legacy2018
– Sunday, April 15th — Michigan Democratic Party Endorsement Convention, (Cobo Center, Detroit). 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Endorsements of the 2018 Democratic candidates for Attorney General, Secretary of State, and State Supreme Court will be decided. To be eligible to vote, you will need to have had your membership current by March 16th. Note: The 14th District Caucus Meeting will be held in Room 260 and runs from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
– Tuesday, April 24th — Filing Deadline for Partisan Candidates for Office (Congress, State Legislature, County Commission)
– Tuesday, May 8th — Filing Deadline for Precinct Delegate Candidacy
– Thursday, June 7th — Grosse Pointe Democratic Club Annual Picnic, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Held at Thompkins Center, Windmill Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe Park 48230.
– Monday, July 9th — Last Day to Register to Vote and Still be Eligible to Vote in Primary
– Friday, July 27th — 14th District Democrats Annual Dinner (Save The Date!) Held at the Southfield Westin. $60 per person.
– Tuesday, August 7th — Primary Election Day
– Tuesday, October 9th — Last Day to Register to Vote and Still be Eligible to Vote in General Election
– Tuesday, November 6th — General Election Day: Time for a Blue Wave in 2018, if we do the work! 230 days to go!
For more information, please feel free to reach Democratic District Chairman Rick Blocker at (248) 217-1637.
P.S. — If you have any Democratic events that you’d like highlighted on the 14th District Democrats’ website or future email updates, please email us at: info@14thDistrictDems.org
We are stronger with your activism + involvement!
To stay plugged in with your local Democratic Party, visit us at www.14thDistrictDems.org
We are on Twitter @14thDistrictDem
We are on Facebook: facebook.com/14thDistrictDems/